Sunday 20 January 2013

Stage 2 final outcome

Final outcome by myself.
Reference photo for half of Portman's face.
Reference photo for the make-up on the dark side of Portman's face.
I decided on a pencil portrait depicting both sides of Natalie Portman's character Nina. In Black Swan, she's struggling between the good and the bad inside her that's so desperately needed for her performance in the Swan Lake ballet. Odette and Odile are like the little angel and devil inside her.
I drew black downy feathers consuming one side of the image, like they're swamping her with darkness - as, in the film, her Odile side gets the better of her! I drew her swan make-up on this shadowed side of her face to portray this.
The lighter, paler side is just Nina. I chose a reference image that was head-on and a portrait so I could show all details and features of her face. I worked with increasing the contrast and brightness of my portrait to make her face and the background white, but for some reason it just didn't work so well. I prefer this light grey colour.

No comments:

Post a Comment